Sunday, June 17, 2007

Taking the subway to work

Welcome back to the page everyone, hopefully you have been dutifully out shopping for my birthday present. Okay, here is a big secret, my birthday has never been one of those overly celebrated events growing up. I was envious of the kids who had more money and bigger parties than myself, heck I was happy if I got a couple of cards and there was no party most years to speak of. Not that I am complaining mind you, there were lots of things that I went without given we didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid. I am not making a pitch for sympathy here, just stating a simple fact. I imagine I will get a couple of cards, but really that is about it and even if I didn't get that, I wouldn't be all that broken up, after all, I will be 38 yrs old, at some point you have to stop celebrating getting a year older and start celebrating the fact you haven't died yet.

I am not taking Asshat suggestions this week, because the Asshat winner has already been determined, and unlike other times, when the award is somewhat finny or snide, this one will be neither, and the more I think about it, the angrier I get. Since it isn't due for a few day, I will try not to dwell on it now.

Today was the first day of the new job, making Subway sandwiches. i know, it sounds like a pretty sucky job, and in many ways I assume it will be in the long run. But for now, it looks like they are going to pay me on a regular basis, which is nice and they are members of the Oakland barter system, which is even better. Allow me to explain a little of what the Oakland barter system is. Because most of the businesses in Oakland are manned by college students, they work deals with other students at other businesses, so if we hook places up with some sandwiches, they in turn hook us up with stuff. Today is was first Rita's Italian Ice that stopped by, they were offering us Ices and Icy drinks, I know very little of their menu because I am more of a ice cream person than a flavored ice person, so I took a pass on the offer, though everybody else got something. Next Primanti's stopped by and I haven't had a Primantis sandwich in ages, so I hopped on that bandwagon, getting myself a Cappicola sandwich. For those of you not in the know, Cappicola is a spicy ham, and the Primanti's sandwich is actually a Pittsburgh tradition of sorts. The first store opened many moons ago in the city's Strip District, which is where all of the trucks come into town and unload their wares. The truck drivers would like to have something to eat but they couldn't sit down for a meal, because they would have to get back on the road, so Primantis started putting french fries and cole slaw right on the sandwich so the truckers could take it with them. The sandwich turned out to be very tasty and something that caught on as more than just a meal for the road. Given there multiple locations now and their late hours, they have also become part of the after the bars close set. Finding out I was getting their food for free today, was just an added bonus.

After my shift today, Thea the manager asked if I was coming back next week. Apparently they must be having problems keeping people if they have to ask that question, but I will gladly come back. I worked a little bit, but it wasn't any worse than some of the other places I have been, and the idea that I don't have to wash my uniform, they keep them on site, just made my life a little easier. Probably the worst part was wearing gloves all the time, you hands get very sweaty and pruny in them, but if that is the worst thing that can happen, I am cool with that. My first schedule looks pretty easy as well, just a Monday, Wednesday and Friday this week, two 5:30-9 shifts and one 5:30 - close. There is even a crazy suggestion that I may be getting paid for today's work on Wednesday, which I didn't expect as a lot of places I have worked hold a check for a couple of weeks before paying you, yet here I am getting paid on Wednesday for today's efforts, all 6 hrs of it. Heck, I don't even have to punch in and out, which is probably why they were trying to kick me out at the end of my shift, I was waiting for the next person to come on the line, I didn't want to leave only one guy there and they kept telling me to go, as a couple of people arrived just didn't make it out front yet.

By the way, Target called today while I was at work, they want me to start my orientation. I believe the phrase is "Too bad, so sad" to that line of thinking. I will stick with smelling like Subway food and pass on the Target opportunity.

Sunday

Yes, this is another of those blogs that I start one day and just take a break from, only to comeback almost a full day later. Such is my lot in life, I am a professional procrastinator. I did get quite a bit done at work however, so it was not all me dawdling away time. I managed to get 4 commercial feeds done, recorded two 2 hr programs into the computer for next weekend, cut 2 new promos, dubbed 10 spots for clients, had the engineer fix the monitor in my booth, set up to edit two podcasts tomorrow morning, stole some music from yahoo, repaired the phone system that was down and was just basically my normal productive self.

I am, still tinkering with the baseball thing on PS2. For the second straight season, my guy got injured. This one is a little more sever however, as last time they gave me the option of playing through the injury, this time he fractured his forearm and will be placed on the 60 day disabled list. This can't bode well, I was a little off the previous seasons pace to begin with, hitting .372 with just 1 HR, 2 RBIs and 5 runs scored in the first 11 games before the injury. Heck, depending on how my replacement does, I may get sent down to AA ball when I finally come back. I don't like the prospects of that in the least. Just my luck that at the same time I get hurt, the major league first baseman also gets hurt, it almost certainly would have gotten me called up.

I don't know how many of you watched the US Open, I mean it is golf after all, not compelling television, but if anyone saw the conditions they played in the last our days, then you have an idea of what weather has been like here, since the Oakmont CC is only about 10 miles from here. Just sunny skies and comfy temps, as has been the case most of spring to be honest. I think the only time it rained during the 4 day event was the evening after the first round was completed, so the rain didn't affect the golf any, save for maybe making the course a little more manageable Friday morning, which ironically was when the best round of the tournament was shot, a -4 under par 66. I'll be honest, I was less than impressed with the event. I realize the course is harder than most courses on the PGA tour, but given the conditions, the number of just out and out bad shots was too me, just far too many for people that call themselves professionals. At least the winner, Angel Cabrera shot 1 under par the last day to win the tournament, but given how nice it was, a winner score of +5 overall just seemed more like people were making bad shots more than the course or the conditions were really punishing anyone.

I still have to schedule guest hosts for Lynn's vacation. I have asked a few people, but haven't heard anything back yet, and I have no idea if I should even consider sitting in, after how the last guest hosting effort by me played out with management. Mind you, they told me they want live people, yet they have no intention of booking anyone, so if it doesn't get done by me, it just doesn't get done. It is one of the bassackward things about my job that I really don't care for, because if I book someone they don't like, I won't here about it until after the fact.

Today was first day of the transit cuts in Pittsburgh. The bus system that services the city is cutting it service by 25%, so I didn't know how I would be affected. The new bus schedules are on the web, but being the professional procrastinator that I am, I didn't bother looking about Sunday service until last night. Luckily for me, it looks like my stuff on Sunday is unaffected, which I worried most about because weekend service is one of the things that got hit the hardest. I know a bus I used to ride on Saturday, the 67H Squirrel Hill was completely eliminated. Don't get me wrong, I agree with removing the route, usually when I rode it only 2 or 3 other people would be on the bus, hardly a wise investment in transit dollars and I can get to the same points by walking an extra block or two and catching a different bus, so why that route wasn't eliminated ages ago is beyond me.

Damn, it is warm this evening. I'll admit I don't own an air conditioner, for multiple reasons including cost and the fact my windows open sideways, not up and down, which means fitting one in a window in my apartment would be a challenge, I don't know if it is hot so much as just getting muggy. It was around 90 degrees today, but it wasn't that bad, but the air just seems heavier right now. then again, it could be that I just made dinner and that increased the temp in my abode, who knows. I know who knows, the weather channel knows. Well at almost 11:30pm, it is still 78 degrees with 57% humidity, so I guess the air is getting a little heavier. I don't see much on the radar as far as future precipitation is concerned either. Now I am curious as to just how far behind we are on rainfall this year. Well the average for June is 3.72 inches of rain, so far we have had .32 inches, so I guess we are behind the curve.

So, have I bored you to death yet with video games and rainfall totals? Good, because I can't think of anything else to say, so we will call this a wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been