Friday, April 23, 2021

Raise the roof?

 So rumor has it we are getting a raise at work.  I would like to think I earned it, but truth be told it is more like an incentive to get people to apply.  Not that we need a boatload of people, but there are 4 of us, plus a manager we share with another store to operate a business that is open 24/7/365.  As it is, I am the only one trained to work overnights, which means for me to get a night off, someone has to come in from another store location.  As a result I have been doing 6 overnights a week since late December.


The raise is somewhat significant, $1.50 an hour and while I am not one to spend time spreading gossip, news of the raise came from the shared manager and I can’t think of a reason he would lie to me.


Digging out of my COVID debt, the extra money is coming at a pretty good time for yours truly.  I had a ‘“Robbing Peter to pay Paul” thing going on for a while, so it is nice to be able to pay both Peter and Paul these days.  It is not enough for me to give up the second job, besides it helps to have something to fall back on should things go all shitty at the full time gig.


On another plus, some money I thought was last may not be lost after all.  I had booked my vacation last year prior to my last store closing due to the property being sold.  Given vacation was a trip back to Vancouver I figured my airfare was lost money due to COVID.  But I read the other day that the government of Canada was forcing AirCanada to refund all monies spent on cancelled flights due to COVID.  From what I have read, the Canadian government owns a percentage of Air Canada, so I went to check my booking the other day, but turns out I was booked on WestJet, who were kind enough to extend my airline credit another 365 days.  Now if we can just get the border open.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been