Friday, March 19, 2021

The winds of change

 Many, many moons ago in a land far, far away, I started blogging on a rather inconsistent basis.  Sometimes it would be a daily thing, other times months would go by with nary a peep from me.


But back in the blog’s formative days, I wondered what I could do to set the page apart, what would be different amongst my scribblings versus everybody else’s out there.  That type of thinking begat the change meter.  Since it is not uncommon for me to just pick things up off of the ground during my daily meanderings, I figured it would be neat if I kept track of it.  Find a penny on the ground, add it to the change meter, get an extra quarter from the change slot of a vending machine, add it to the change meter.  Back then I figured I would probably find maybe $50 a year.  You know, wishful thinking.


But then the rules started to change,  I found a monthly bus pass outside of work one day.  And the day I found it was the first of the month, so the pass was good for the next 30 days or so.  And being a bus rider myself, I could ascertain what the pass was worth, that being $80 at the time, so while not money itself, the pass has an established value and I paid nothing for it, so I added its value to the change meter.


The next change to the rules (though I would simply call it an enforcement of existing rules) came when I started my part time job at Uncle Sam’s Subs.  Seems we get tipped there, though it doesn’t fall under weekly wages or figure into my paycheck in any manner.  So while I didn’t find this money per se, it wasn’t mine at any time save for the end of the shift therefore it to gets added to the change meter.  


Which brings us to today, where when last reported on here the change meter total was $5785.77.  But we are going to add to that, to the tune of $1195.13, giving us a brand new change meter total of $6980.90.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been