Sunday, July 24, 2016

B365V3.42 - My problems come in 3D

Well Friday turned out to be a decent day for yours truly, which is better than I thought it would be, but then my plans sucked and got in the way.  But I got into work and for the third time this week we had a no call no show in the deli, this time it was someone I wish we hadn't hired back so for me it was a warmth of the cockles of my heart moment.  Brian fired them a second time (let's hope there isn't a third), but in my book it is addition by subtraction.

Plus I had 5 different cigarette orders to sort through on Friday's delivery and I didn't mess any of them up, which is also a good thing.  Usually there is a carton or three missing, especially when I have almost 300 cartons coming in, the vendor will be out of stock on something or I will screw something up.

I realized on Thursday that Friday was the premiere of the new Star Trek movie.  So I figured if I got everything done in a timely fashion Friday I would head over to the Waterfront and check it out.  Maybe throw in some dinner too and call it a Matt night.

Well I got things done in a timely fashion, caught a 57 and headed off to the Waterfront and that is where the day started to turn downhill.  The bus was detoured for something on 2nd Avenue and instead took a bunch of back streets across the South Side until getting on Carson Street over by 18th Street, even though it could have got on Carson right off of the 10th Street Bridge.  With all of the turns on side streets I can guarantee you they saved no time whatsoever.  The bus didn't get back on 2nd Avenue until the Hot Metal Bridge. 

Eventually the bus made it to  my destination and it was all kinds of hot and muggy out.  I opted for Red Robin, I was in a burgery kind of mood, and as I am walking there the air is so heavy and clingy that I can smell burgers from their kitchen vents and the fact that the wet air just left the smell hang rather than dissipate.  It was like walking through burger grease just to get to the restaurant. 

I got inside and was seated in the pub section and I saw that Red Robin is also preparing for the ramifications for the fight for a $15/hr minimum wage.  All of the tables now have tablets that can take your order, of give you your check, or take payment on your bill.  Literally they can be down to just food runners from the kitchen, the waiting tables job will be obsolete in the new economy.  But for now they still have waiters and waitresses and I gt to deal with a human being.  I got me a Royal Robin, which is a burger with a fried egg.  The egg w o runny I had to go ll civilized and use a fork and knife, let I get yolk all over my hands.  But the food and service overall were good, and after finishing up my iced tea I headed off to Loews, where the fight for $15 lives on. 

See, they removed the ticket sellers, now they are touch screen panels, you swipe through the movies, tap the move you want, then a list of showtimes pops up underneath it, you pick your showtime, swipe your credit or debit card and you are done, it prints out your ticket and you head off to your theater.  I arrived at 6:09pm and I saw there was a showing for 6:15pm.  Not only that, they had the VIP seating with the leather chairs I like for that showing so I upgraded and got me a leather seat.  I swipe my card and my ticket prints out and it ends up being a 3D showing.  I hate 3D movies, they add nothing to the film for me and I have to sit there with a dorky pair of glasses overtop my own glasses just so I can get an effect that looks like I am watching a movie through a fucking Viewmaster.

Still I am there and I bought the ticket, so I figure I will suffer in silence.  It is Trek after all, and I loved Next Gen and Deep Space Nine.  This wasn't as good as either of those however.  When your plot has such holes as a captain crash landing on a planet and apparently forgetting where his ship was.  The conflict resolution consisted of playing the Beastie Boys really loud to get rid of most of the baddies and the big bad guy had the requisite chase scene through a populated area, only to have Kirk beat him my kicking him and a biological weapon out into space and as you can tell by my description I was highly unimpressed.

The best part of the movie was when it was over and taking off those stupid glasses.  So my Friday would have been better had I not made any plans at all.

1 comment:

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been