Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The quarter pole

Well the fantasy football season is 4 weeks old, which means most NFL teams have now played 1/4 of their schedules.  Currently I am 3-1 and in first place in the bar's fantasy football league, but the league has been competitive this year.  Of the twelve teams involved, one team is 0-4, two are 3-1 and the other nine are 2-2, so one game separates 11 teams.  This is a quick recap of my season to this point.

Week #1  A 69-68 loss, the only blemish on the record to this point.  What irks me is that is the week which I blathered about previously on the blog page, the Calvin Johnson non catch that cost me roughly 7 fantasy points, enough that if it had been ruled a catch (like it visibly appears to be) I would be undefeated at this point in the year. 

Week #2  107-78 win, thus squaring my record at 1-1.  5 of the nine starting players registered 11 or more points, with the leading scorer being the San Diego Charger defense with 30 points, including 6 turnovers (4 interceptions, 2 fumble recoveries) and 2 sacks.

Week #3  A 94-92 squeaker that pushed me to 2-1 and a tie for first place, as every team in the league had lost one game after three weeks of play.  Adrian Peterson proves to be worthy of my first round pick and second overall in the draft, rushing for 160 yards and two touchdowns,.

Week #4  132-85 win, in week where I was worried about how I would do.  With Adrian Peterson on a bye I surely thought my team would be short handed, instead it put up the highest point total of any team in the league after 4 weeks.  While 5 players registered double digit points, it was once again the San Diego Chargers defense that stole the show.  4 points allowed, 9 sacks, two interceptions, one fumble recovery and a touchdown scored equated to 50 fantasy points in one game.  Remember when I said in my fantasy football draft recap that I draft a defense late because it usually doesn't matter?  Consider that I drafted the Chargers in the 15th round (out of 17), the 170th overall pick and after 4 weeks they lead all NFL defenses in our fantasy scoring system with 104.  The New York Jets were the first defense taken in the 7th round and 73rd overall yet to this point they have only garnered 69 points.  So nearly 100 picks later and I have gotten 35 more points than the first defense taken.  I will say it again, defenses area crapshoot and are best left for late picks.  There are far more important things to be chasing in the early rounds.

Okay, that wraps up the first 4 weeks.  I will be back in 4 more weeks to update how the team is doing and at the end of the season I will do a draft recap on all of my picks, complete with a subjective thumbs up/thumbs down analysis of how they did for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been